Oyster Shell Products Features and Benefits 1. Quality-Oyster Shell is recognized as the highest quality, most uniformly consistent form of calcium for poultry.
2. Particle Size-Appropriate particle size for the ration being formulated
3. Density- Bulk density (65lb./ft) ensures more even distribution through the entire feeding system. Resists separation.
4. Consistency-Oyster Shell always contains 38% calcium with no detrimental impurities to harm eggshell quality.
5. Heat Treated- All Oyster Shell is heat treated to 250 degrees F in a rotary drier to help prevent Salmonella and minimize contamination.
6. Biologically Available- Oyster Shell is available when most needed for eggshell formation.
7. Improves Bone Strength-When placed in the feed of spent hens being sent to market, Oyster Shell has been shown to reduce bone fragility.
8. More Marketable Eggs-When Oyster Shell is included as a portion of the calcium in the ration of laying hens, more eggs per hen consistently reach the consumer.
9. Improves Eggshell Specific Gravity-Recent research has shown a significant improvement in eggshell specific gravity for hens fed a portion of their calcium in the form of Oyster Shell.
10. Drier Droppings-Hens fed Oyster Shell have been shown to reduce manure moisture, improving fly control and total manure management.
11. Reduces Mortality-It has been reported by several managers of large laying complexes that the inclusion of Oyster Shell as a portion of the calcium requirement of laying hens, improve both shell quality and reduces mortality.
12. Molting-The incorporation of Oyster Shell as a portion of the ration for one week prior to molting and during the return to full feed, has optimized production results.
Results typically achieved when including Oyster Shell as 1/3-1/2 of the calcium ration. It makes "cents" to always use Oyster Shell in poultry rations.